December 19, 2010

Best Egypt Week

After our whirlwind Thanksgiving trip I was kind of bummed out for a few days. But I think that had a lot to do with the fact that I was sleeping until 4pm every day and going to bed at 3am. After I finally got back in the rhythm of things, I ended up having an INCREDIBLE week. Highlights included zero harassment, hour long walks by the Nile early in the morning (during which I once saw a weasel!) and a series of lovely evenings out, including a ragey house night with DJ Alexkid at the French Cultural Center. By far the best night out was a dance performance at El-Sawy Culture Wheel in Zamalek. It was called "Dancepiration" and despite the name and the tacky host of the evening, the dancers were phenomenal. There was a good bit of bboying and some amazing hip-hop moves, as well as an Egyptian comedian - even though he did his routine in Arabic and I'm sure I lost half the nuances, he still had me in splits. One of the dancers had adopted a stray cat and left it in the care of my housemate during the show, so I spent the two hours with a tiny kitten on my lap. Cairo's glitterati and teenage snobs were out in full force, and the evening left me with a subtler understanding of some of the quirks and joys of Egyptian society. There are things here that I'd prefer to live without, but it's still an amazing place.

No comments: